Thursday, March 1, 2007

I want this job

I had my very first interview for a job (ok, an internship) today. I am proud to say that I have never, ever worked officially before in the twenty-two years of my life! Not even as a McDonald's cashier. No CPF account either. It's quite an achievement considering how hardworking I am *cough*. But that's beside the point.

Front-office investment banking internships are almost impossible to get (I heard the numbers are like 3 out of 3000 applicants). So, I went for mid-office stuff for my Professional Attachment this coming summer.

I applied for some internship that involves doing business unit controls for the FOREX, cash and collateral traders. It sounds important, but who actually knows what the hell they do. When I asked one of my interviewers, she rattled a long string of hardly recognisable financial jargon. Guess I'd have to learn on the job then.

But seriously, the job scope is quite exciting. In the relative sense, of course, since I'm comparing it to an accountant's work. The job would give me a chance to interact with the FOREX traders and pick some of their brains. And maybe I'd get to see what they have traded, how much they have made or lost, and do a bit of investigative work. I don't know why but that just appeals to me.

Other than the reconciliation stuff, I would also get to use my "1337 programming skillz"(I wish) for god knows what. Probably generating analyses in Excel. And I might get to liaise with peeps overseas, though when they say that, it could mean anything from a phone call to MSN chatting. The latter sounds good.

Security is tight. To enter the bank, I had to go through some turnstile with a security pass. They must have some pretty important information in there to protect. Then I took the wrong lift. I took one that took me to only the odd levels, and my destination was on an even level. I thought I could take the stairs down from floor 13, but everywhere except the lift area was considered out-of-bounds-to-non-staff. So I took the lift all the way down to the lobby and switched lifts, barely making it on time.

My interviewers were two pretty ladies around my age or just a little older. So I had no problems with keeping eye contact :) Thankfully, their questions were rather general and they didn't ask any stunners like some of the firms I've heard about ("If you were an animal, what would you be?" suggested answers - puking merlion or horny rhino) Halfway through, I could feel my mouth drying out. I was practically speaking continuously. This almost never happens.

Anyway, I think I should not go on any more lest the people from the bank find out that I'm making a joke out of this and decides not to recruit me.

I'm not being evil here, but I hope the other candidates sucked.

Ti Gong Bo Bi!! Sky God Bless!!

1 comment:

Serge said...

Security would definitely be tight at banks as they keep not just money in their vaults, but important documents and precious jewelries as well.