Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Sloth

Before the holidays I told myself I was going to be more productive and would therefore actually do something useful during this vacation. In fact, I made a list of the things I wanted to do (well, at that point in time). For some reason I have yet to do any of them.

It seems that right now, I don't have the motivation for anything. Oblivion is the only exception. But something within tells me I should give Oblivion a break. I'm not going to gain much other than the entertainment value.

I wonder why I don't feel like doing anything right now. Following a To-do list feels like making a decision at every stage. Should I decide to spend my time on task A or B? Does it take too long to complete? How much effort must I put in to finish it? Can I postpone it? I ask so many questions I must spend more time thinking about what to do than the actual doing. Come to think of it, this entire post is itself an example.

Of course, the tasks usually fail the criteria. If I can postpone it, I will. If I have to put in a lot of effort or spend a lot of time on it, I will do it later. If benefits and goals are too long-term I will probably forget about it.

Heck, I can't remember all of the seven deadly sins but I can definitely remember Sloth. That's where I'm the weakest.

Now, any ideas how not to be lazy?

No comments: