Wednesday, March 29, 2006

How much time do I have?

There have been a couple of very shocking news recently.

The Nanyang Chronicle(not updated), reported a student who peeped in the female toilet and got caught when the er.. peepee (the one who suay suay kena peeped at) alerted the campus security and found the peeping tom in some CCTV footage. Apparently, this guy holds an important leadership position in the university. I've heard unconfirmed rumours and everyone seems to know who he is but I humji so I won't be revealing anything more than that. Anyway, he has sinced stepped down and was also evicted. How in the world did someone with such values hold an important leadership position like that? And for someone in such a position, why would he be so dumb to go peeping around in the female toilet? Check your hormones man.

There's a worse unconfirmed rumour going around that sounds too scary to be true, and if it was, seems to question the state of campus security. It's most probably a false rumour but still, it is good to take extra precaution. Just don't go jogging alone in the middle of the night.

Then there's the passing of Colonel Bernard Tan. Shocking not because I was close to him. I'm not his immediate subordinate. But I seem to recall that he gave a number of speeches during some brigade and battalion events, and that we were on the same boat all the way back in Brunei during the 3rd Guards training frame. I think he wanted to inspect his men around the river area and so he was on my boss' boat.

That was the first time I saw him and my first impression was that he looks too damn young for a colonel. He must have been some high-flyer. Then I heard the news and the shock was that this guy was only 39. And the fact that he was afterall, someone from Bedok Camp II as well makes it all the more relevant. Besides, sudden collapse and death was not like an accident where there seemed to be something to blame.

How do we know the same thing won't happen to us? This reminded me of someone from SI who was even younger and probably healthier but passed away suddenly too. Youth does not grant any form of immunity. If anything, it probably serves as a false sense of security. I'm young, so I won't die yet. I don't expect myself to die yet.

How do we know how much time we have left? You have all these things that you want to do and fulfill but then you get shortchanged and it's over in an instant. I wish I could say I try to live my life to the fullest but that is so not true. I am cowardly most of the time, never daring to try something new or radical, and staying in my comfort zone. Is that how it should be? Will I be glad with what I had when I kena shortchanged?


No comments: