Tuesday, March 7, 2006

I found something quite funny about my business law tutorial last week. Now, the topic of discussion was about contract law and the particular question was on parents complaining about the fact that minors are allowed to purchase phones and sign contracts without their knowledge.

It was a letter to the Straits Times Forum all the way back in 1998 and the parent believed that the contracts should be illegal. Nothing wrong with that (since sometimes minors may not do things in their best interests), except that one point she stated was about some minors who were called up by secret societies to join fights. Obviously, the parents are worried about their kids joining fights and all that. But if the Sar Lak Gao (369) decides to phone the child to join a fight, then chances are that he/she must already be in it. Even if the child has no handphone, the "big boss" will definitely find some way or another to make the required headcount. And so what if he/she misses the fight? The bigger problem is that the child is in a bloody gang.

But kudos to the team that presented this topic- They really made my day when they suggested that the service providers sell phone numbers to the secret societies. And they were not even joking LOL. It was kind of weird that no one seemed to find this suggestion so unreasonable it was amusing.
I apologise for my screwed up sense of humour, but I had this conversation playing in my head then:

"Eh, hallo? Singtel isit?"

"Yes. How may I help you, sir?"

"Aar.. I am Dai Gor Dai from er... Tree Six Nine. You got sells the handphone numbers right?"

"Yes, sir. I see we have your records - I see you want us to provide you with the numbers from the categories:'big', 'aggressive' and 'high fighting ability' for recuitment purposes?"

"Yes yes... aggressive is simi sai? I dunch understand lar but ar... give me all the number for the big big size people. They must be able to fight one har... I dun wan the humji ones"

"Sure, that will be $10 a number, sir. We will fax them to you shortly."

"Good.. kaninah your service very good leh"

"Thank you for your compliment, we look forward to doing more business with you, Mr Dai"

But seriously, I wonder what the telcos, or any other company for that matter, do with our numbers and information stored in their database.

No comments: