Friday, June 16, 2006

First day in CUHK

I took the 6.40 am flight to Hong Kong this morning. Since I didn't sleep last night I was practically a zombie throughout the day. The intermittent sleep I got during the 3 hour plus plane right wasn't enough at all. Lesson learnt.

Anyway, it's fugging hot here in Hong Kong. Not sure about the exact temperature but it certainly felt warmer than Singapore. Somehow it feels even hotter than my room, which is pretty much a sauna in its own right.

We toured the campus for a bit with a couple of CUHK female students leading us to the canteens, barber, bank, supermarket, etc. Places essential to our survival. Oh, by the way, for some reason toilet rolls didn't seem provided for in our toilets. The supermarket sells a large pack of 10 toilet rolls at 20 HKD or so (around 4bucks) - which is crazy compared to the bloody few cents kind we can get in our beloved SAF eMart. Now I believe that's how the supermarket intends to stay afloat - sell toilet paper.

view from my hostel window

My hostel room has a wonderful view. Actually, anywhere you look here in this part of HK seems to have a wonderful view. It's all gotta do with the mountainous terrain here. Turn somewhere and you either see a cliff/slope facing you or you are standing on one. If you think NTU or NUS has horrible slopes, come here man. If I stayed here for a semester and just walk to classes I think I can get Gold for IPPT.




2 comments:

PeaCeFOol said...

Bro, you need some toilet paper to be sent by air mail?

The toilet paper there is made up of rarer materials I think.. Haha..

half-asleep said...

Lol yeah you send me toilet paper and I'd sell them here. We can start an import/export business :)